Game Gen - Week 9

 Improving Performance and Continuing to Add Functionality and Clean-Up


Here's a short video of my progress this week:


Here are the main things I accomplished this week: 

Object Pooling for Potions:
  • Changed Potions to use Object Pooling. I have some bugs in this system still I think, but it seems to be functioning properly to avoid creating and destroying the potions when dropped, instead it creates objects as needed and keeps them in a pool to pull from, only creating new actors as the pool needs more. 
Added AOE and Damage Over Time Attack:
  • This is not an implemented functionality yet for the player, however I did begin creating a parent class for an AOE attack that will cause Damage over Time to the enemies. It uses a sphere trace on a timer to replicate the tick to prevent using the tick, however it traces for a certain amount of time, if an enemy is hit, it will trigger Damage over Time in a function within the enemy blueprint. 
Improved Main Menu: 
  • I improved the look of the Main Menu, and the functionality as well. You can now change your video resolution and quality options to improve performance on different PCs. 
Started Changing The Level:
  • I began to map out an indoor level, thinking of an interesting way to create a "capture the flag" element in the game as well. 
Started Creating Flag Capture Mechanics:
  • I have begun creating functionality for some enemies to try to capture the flag in the center of the map and bring it to the closest portal. This will be another end-game scenario for the player to challenge them. I'm using a mix of Blue Prints and Black Boards for the AI Functionality. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game Gen - Week 1

Game Gen - Week 4

Game Gen - Week 2